Thursday, May 31, 2012

Letting go of my baby...or so trying...

Well, today was yet another day of letting go of my little boy...well, ok, he's not so little, he's never really been little...coming into the world at a whopping 10 pounds makes him a big boy...but, in my heart, he's always been and most likely always will be my little one.


He turned 18 this past February....

He graduated this past weekend....

He sent in his application for a passport today for his year in Korea...starting in September...of this year....in just a few more months...

Yes, today was another day of letting go.

We as moms will all face this day...or in my case weeks..actually make that year...I've had opportunities all year to "let go" of this little {ok, big} guy. It started when I ordered his senior year textbooks for homeschool. It screeched "LET GO!!" when he turned 18, I cried when he left to get his senior pictures taken and I secretly listened to the pomp and circumstance so I didn't cry like a bumbling idiot at his graduation...well, that worked, but I didn't practice seeing him in his cap and gown...swallow hard, hold back the tears...you can cry later...which I did.

He's the baby of the family...I don't have to do this again.

I graduated 3 children before him. This one has been different...perhaps because I knew I had others yet at home to busy myself with, to absorb that fact that my nest was getting empty. I don't have that now.

I took all the advice of the many older moms as they told me to enjoy my days, to savor the moments because time is fleeting, time goes fast...yes, they spoke truth, and yes, I did enjoy my days and I did savor the moments, but I still have to let go...walk into a new "season" of my life.

But, I'm living in TODAY, and this is where I am TODAY! God has given me a wonderful journey with raising these children given to me 26 years ago...it's been an awesome journey that will continue. I will be on a different path so to speak, but on a journey still the same. God is already shaping my days and activities in a different way because of where I am. I'm a mom, I will always be a mom...and that... I don't ever have to let go of...ever.

I don't fight today. I live in it...





No comments:

Post a Comment